Board of Trustees endorses new strategic plan for Ohio State
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Ohio State University Board of Trustees endorsed a new strategic vision for the future of the university today. The plan, Time and Change: Enable, Empower and Inspire, follows historic university highs in applications, graduation rates, academic excellence, diversity and donor support.
“We stand at the doorway of transformational change for Ohio State and the national higher education landscape,” said President Michael V. Drake. “Our strategic plan is a living framework that allows for flexibility moving forward. What is not flexible is our aspiration to be the best university we can be.”
The plan builds on the university’s existing strengths – including a vibrant student experience, research excellence, athletic prowess and a highly engaged Buckeye family.
“Our strategic plan sets forth the next steps of what it means to be a flagship public research university in the 21st century,” said Board of Trustees Chair Alex Shumate.
Time and Change consists of five pillars of focus:
- Teaching and Learning: Ohio State will be an exemplar of the best teaching, demonstrating leadership by adopting innovative, at-scale approaches to teaching and learning to improve student outcomes.
- Access, Affordability and Excellence: Ohio State will further our position as a leading public university offering an excellent, affordable education and promoting economic diversity.
- Research and Creative Expression: Ohio State will enhance our position among the top national and international public universities in research and creative expression, both across the institution and in targeted fields – driving significant advances for critical societal challenges.
- Academic Health Care: The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center will continue our ascent as a leading academic medical center, pioneering breakthrough health care solutions and improving people’s lives.
- Operational Excellence and Resource Stewardship: Ohio State will be an exemplar of best practices in resource stewardship, operational effectiveness, and efficiency and innovation.
The university connected with more than 500 campus leaders and received nearly 1,000 responses and suggestions through online engagement efforts from across the Ohio State community to develop a plan and continue the university’s upward momentum.
"Our momentum is significant, and we are excited to take the next steps in Ohio State’s long history of academic excellence,” said Executive Vice President and Provost Bruce A. McPheron.
Time and Change recognizes that the size, breadth, geography, history and standard of excellence at Ohio State allow the university to take a leading role in the future of higher education. Drake said it is now time to put the plan into action.
“Translating strategy into execution will be the work of all Buckeyes, requiring ongoing collaboration across the university and with stakeholders,” he said.
Learn more about the strategic plan at http://go.osu.edu/strategicplan.