Publications in Refereed Journals
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Agarwal, Sumit, and Vincent Yao, Collateral Valuation and Institutional Pressures: Evidence from the Residential Real-Estate Market, Management Science, forthcoming
- Ben-David, Itzhak , Agarwal, Sumit, Gene Amromin, Souphala Chomsisengphet, and Douglas Evanoff, Predatory Lending and the Subprime Crisis, Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming.
- Ben-David, Itzhak, John Graham, Cam Harvey, Managerial Miscalibration, Quarterly Journal of Economics (2013), 128 (4), 1547-1584.
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Francesco Franzoni, Augustin Landier, and Rabih Moussawi, Do Hedge Funds Manipulate Stock Prices? Journal of Finance (2013), 68 (5), 2383-2434.
- Ben-David, Itzhak, and David Hirshleifer, "Are Investors Really Reluctant to Realize Their Losses? Trading Responses to Past Returns and the Disposition Effect," Review of Financial Studies (2012), 25(8), 2485-2532.
- Itzhak Ben-David, Francesco Franzoni,and Rabih Moussawi, 2012, Hedge Fund Stock Trading in the Financial Crisis of 2007-2009, Review of Financial Studies (2012), 25, 1-54, Lead Article.
- Agarwal, Sumit, Gene Amromin, Itzhak Ben-David, Souphala Chomsisengphet, and Douglas Evanoff, 2011, The Role of Securitization in Mortgage Renegotiation, Journal of Financial Economics 102(3), 559-578.
- Ben-David, Itzhak, 2011, Financial Constraints and Inflated Home Prices during the Real-Estate Boom, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 3, 55-78.
Book Chapters and Other Publications
- Agarwal, Sumit, Gene Amromin, Itzhak Ben-David, Souphala Chomsisengphet, and Douglas Evanoff, 2010, Financial Counseling, Financial Literacy, and Household Decision Making, in Mitchell, O., and A. Lusardi (eds.), Financial Literacy: Implications for Retirement Security and the Financial Marketplace, Oxford University Press.
- Ben-David, Itzhak, 2010, Dividend Policy Decisions, in H. Kent Baker and John R. Nofsinger (eds.), Behavioral Finance (Robert W. Kolb Series in Finance), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey.
- Ben-David, Itzhak, and Jim Schallheim, 2007, The Response to Customer Default: Captive Versus Non-captive Lessors, Journal of Equipment Lease Financing 25(1), 1-6
- Ben-David, Itzhak, 2005, Company Performance and Leased Assets in Sale-and-Leaseback Transactions, Journal of Equipment Lease Financing 23 (2), 1-8
- Ben-David, Itzhak, and Tzvi Raz, 2001, An Integrated Approach for Risk Response Development in Project Planning, Journal of Operational Research Society 52, 14-25
- Luigi Zingales, A Capitalism for the People: Recapturing the Lost Genius of American Prosperity, Basic Books, 2012
- Street Signs, Study: Why We Sell Winners and Hold Onto Losers, CNBC, 10 September 2012
- The Guru Investor, Study’s Findings Challenge Loss-Aversion Theory, TheGuruInvestor.com, 31 August 2012
- Susan Lyon, Understanding the Facebook IPO Drama: Why has Facebook’s stock price gone down since the IPO, and should I buy now? [Link to article] NerdWallet, 5 September 2012
- Leadingminds, The Disposition Effect, http://leadingmindsacademy.com, 30 August 2012
- Jeff Grabmeier, Beliefs Drive Investors More than Preferences, Study finds, The Ohio State University Communications, 28 August 2012
- Mark Williams, Paying with Credit May Cost You More, The Columbus Dispatch, 29 July 2012
- The Hannah Report, Commerce Director Warns against ‘One Size Fits All’ Housing Solution, 23 July 2012
- American Action Forum Panel, The U.S. Housing Recovery: Lessons from Ohio, American Action Forum, 23 July 2012
- Andy Winkler, The U.S. Housing Recovery: Lessons from Ohio, American Action Forum, 23 July 2012
- Shaina Cavazos, Credit Card Settlement Might Cost Consumers More, Cleveland.com, 16 July 2012
- James Montier, The Flaws of Finance, White paper, May 2012
- Jaime Ortega-Simo, Itzhak Ben-David Professor of Finance Comments About Facebook Going Public, The Daily Journalist, 16 April 2012
- Ohio State’s Winter College, A Look Back at the Subprime Mess, 17 February 2012
- Mandie Trimble, Real Estate Experts Differ on Rental Permanency, WOSU (NPR; radio interview), 15 February 2012
- Jaime Ortega-Simo, Experts ‘like’ Facebook’s Chances in Public Market, The Lantern, 15 February 2012
- WealthAdviser, ETFs, Arbitrage, and Contagion: A Potential Link? WealthAdviser, 6 February 2012
- Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow, 2011, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, New York
- R. Christopher Small, Acquirer Valuation and Acquistion Decisions, Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, 12 September 2011
- Jeff Grabmeier, Hedge Funds Sold Stocks Quickly During Financial Crisis, Hurting Mutual Fund Investors, Research News at OSU, 25 August 2011
- Gregory Connor, Nama's Property Price Insurance Scheme, The Irish Economy, 5 August 2011
- Stephanie Taylor Christensen, Seller Add-Ons Contribute to Housing Market Lull, Study Finds, Minyanville, 26 July 2011
- Alex Eichler, Illegal Cash-Back Deals Worsened The Housing Bubble, Drove Up Foreclosures: Report, Huffington Post, 15 July 2011
- Brian O'Connell, Mortgage Modification's Dirty Little Secret, BankingMyWay.com (TheStreet.com), 8 March 2011
- AllAboutAlpha.com, Hedge funds and "stock manipulation": Perpetrators, accomplices or just in the wrong place at the wrong time (again)?, AllAboutAlpha.com, 2 March 2011
- Michael Konczai, The Latest on Servicing and Modifications, Washington Post, 10 November 2010
- Paul Willen, Securitized mortgage loan or not, lenders are not restructuring, Real Estate Research blog, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, 20 October 2010
- Amy Koehnen, Mortgage Counseling, Plain Language, and Financial Education: What Works?, Forefront: New Ideas on Economic Policy from the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, October 2010
- Charles Evans, the President and Executive Director of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, Informing the future of Housing Finance: Lessons from the Recent Past, Speech delivered before the Indianapolis Neighborhood Housing Partnership Community Breakfast on August 24, 2010
- Richard H. Thaler, The Overconfidence Problem in Forecasting, New York Times, 22 August 2010
- Shefali Anand, Indians are Better than Americans, Wall Street Journal, India News, 2 July 2010
- Charlie Mead, Where Federal Mortgage Program Stalls, Chicago Events Pick Up Slack, Medill Reports Chicago (Northwestern University), 18 May 2010
- New Voices at Fisher: Ben-David on the Mortgage Crisis, Fisher College Annual Report, September 2009
- Zubin Jelveh, Should We Give Financial Advice for the Poor?, New Republic, 22 April 2009
- Steve Wartenberg, President's plan will save homes, advocates say, Columbus Dispatch, 6 March 2009
- Phil Kadner, Southwest Side had early solution to housing crisis, Chicago Sun-Times, 10 January 2009
- Melanie McIntyre, Mortgage Industry More Cautious, but Not Totally Backing Away From ARMs, The Daily Reporter, 29 August 2008
- James Surowiecki, That Uncertain Feeling, The New Yorker, 1 September 2008
- Alan Rappeport, Half Full, and Then Some, CFO.com, 1 May 2008
- Stephen Dubner, A Look Back at the Subprime Mess, Freakonomics blog, 7 April 2008
- Matthew Bandyk, Experts? Not in the Stock Market, U.S. News & World Report, 6 February 2008
- Alan Rappeport, Feeling Confident, CFO.com, 31 January 2008
- Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt, Pay-back Time, Freakonomics column, New York Times Magazine, 10 June 2007
- Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt, Real-Estate Sleight of Hand, Freakonomics blog, 9 June 2007
- Ben-David, Itzhak, and Yoad Shefi, 2004, The New Education System, 10 November 2004, Globes (Hebrew)
- Ben-David, Itzhak, and Guy David, 2003, A Pyrrhic Victory - An Economic Analysis of the Corruption in the Likud Party, 1 January 2003, Globes (Hebrew)
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Gadi Rabinowitz, and Tzvi Raz, Economic Optimization of Project Risk Management Efforts
The Financial Crisis
- Ben-David, Itzhak, High Leverage and Willingness to Pay: Evidence from the Residential Housing Market
- Agarwal, Sumit, and Itzhak Ben-David, The Effects of Loan Officers' Compensation on Loan Approval and Performance: Direct Evidence from a Corporate Experiment
- Agarwal, Sumit, Gene Amromin, Itzhak Ben-David, Souphala Chomsisengphet, and Yan Zhang, Second Liens and the Holdup Problem in First Mortgage Renegotiation, Coming soon
- Agarwal, Sumit, Gene Amromin, Itzhak Ben-David, Souphala Chomsisengphet, Tomasz Piskorski, and Amit Seru, Can Government Intervention Improve Market Outcome? Evidence from Home Affordability Mortgage Program, Coming soon
- Agarwal, Sumit, Gene Amromin, Itzhak Ben-David, and Serdar Dinc, The Political Concerns of Mortgage Servicers and Their Decision to Foreclose, Coming soon
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Ajay Palvia, and Chester Spatt, Banks' Internal Capital Markets and Deposit Rates, Coming soon
- Grant award from GARP Foundation
- Agarwal, Sumit, Gene Amromin, Itzhak Ben-David, Souphala Chomsisengphet, and Douglas Evanoff, Market-Based Loss Mitigation Practices for Troubled Mortgages following the Financial Crisis
- Ben-David, Itzhak and Agarwal, Sumit, Do Loan Officers’ Incentives Lead to Lax Lending Standards?
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Agarwal, Sumit, Gene Amromin, Souphala Chomsisengphet, Tomasz Piskorski, and Amit Seru, Policy Intervention in Debt Renegotiation: Evidence from the Home Affordable Modification Program
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Baugh, Brian, and Hoonsuk Park, The “Amazon Tax”, Coming soon
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Baugh, Brian, and Hoonsuk Park, Disentangling Financial Constraints, Precautionary Savings, and Myopia: Household Behavior Surrounding Federal Tax Returns
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Francesco A. Franzoni, and Rabih Moussawi, Do ETFs Increase Volatility?
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Denys Glushkov, and Rabih Moussawi, Do Hedge Funds Really Avoid High Idiosyncratic Stocks?
- Ben-David, Itzhak, and Darren Roulstone, Idiosyncratic Risk and Corporate Transactions
- Ben-David, Itzhak, Michael Drake, and Darren Roulstone, Are Stock Acquirers Overvalued? Evidence from Short-Selling Activity