Associate Professor, Teaching and Learning Administration
- 2008 Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology, Florida State University and the Florida Center for Reading Research
- 2006 M.S. in Developmental Psychology, Florida State University and the Florida Center for Reading Research
- 2004 B.A. in Psychology (Summa Cum Laude), College of the Holy Cross
Early and emergent literacy skill development; Empirical investigation of literacy-related and other educational programs and practices.
My research focuses on early literacy skill development and how such development is best supported during the preschool and elementary years. Much of my research involves experimental evaluation of professional development, educational programs, and specific literacy practices aimed at increasing children’s language and literacy outcomes, although I am also interested in identifying teacher, classroom, and other factors associated with children’s literacy gains. Additional interests include the research-to-practice gap in education and quantitative methods/research design.
- Editorial Board, The Elementary School Journal
- 2010-2011 Ohio Department of Education Prekindergarten English Language Arts standards, Advisory Board Member
- Member: Society for the Scientific Study of Reading, Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness, Society for Research in Child Development, National Association for the Education of Young Children, International Dyslexia Association, American Psychological Association
- Assistant Director, Children’s Learning Research Collaborative
- 2010 Language, Speech, and Hearing Sciences in Schools Editor’s Award
- 2008 Outstanding Institute of Education Sciences Pre-Doctoral Fellow Award
- 2005-2008 Institute of Education Sciences Pre-Doctoral Interdisciplinary Research Training Fellow
- Co-Investigator: Development and Validation of the Narrative Assessment Protocol. U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, 2011-2014.
- Principal Investigator, Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Ohio Department of Education’s Literacy Core Curriculum for Early Childhood Educators. U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, 2010-2015.
- Co-Investigator: Reading for Understanding: Language Bases of Reading Comprehension. U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, 2010-2015.
- Principal Investigator: Efficacy of the Core Knowledge Approach to Math and Science Preschool Education. National Institutes of Health, The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, 2009-2012.
- Phillips, B. M. & Piasta, S. B. (in press). Phonological awareness and print knowledge: Key precursors and instructional targets to promote reading success. In T. Shanahan and C. Lonigan (Eds.), Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten Children: The National Early Literacy Panel and Beyond.
- Piasta, S. B., Justice, L. M., Cabell, S. Q., Wiggins, A., Turnbull, K. P., & Curenton, S. M. (in press). Impact of professional development on preschool teachers' conversational responsivity and children's linguistic productivity and complexity. Early Childhood Research Quarterly.
- Piasta, S. B., Justice, L. M., McGinty, A. S., & Kaderavek, J. N. (in press). Increasing young children’s contact with print during shared reading: Longitudinal effects on literacy achievement. Child Development.
- Justice, L. M. & Piasta, S. B. (2011). Developing children’s print knowledge through adult-child storybook reading interactions: Print referencing as an instructional practice. In S. B. Neuman and D. K. Dickinson (Eds.), Handbook of Early Literacy Research (3rd edition; pp. 200-213). New York: Guilford.
- Cabell, S. Q., Justice, L. M., Piasta, S. B., Curenton, S. M., Wiggins, A., Turnbull, K. P. & Petscher, Y. (2011). The impact of teacher responsivity education on preschoolers' language and literacy skills. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 20, 315-330.
- Piasta, S.B., Dynia, J. M., Pentimonti, J. M., Justice, L. J., Kaderavek, J. N., & Schatschneider, C. (2010). Impact of professional development on preschool teachers’ print references during shared read alouds: A latent growth curve analysis. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, 3, 343-380.
- Justice, L. M., McGinty, A., Piasta, S. B., Kaderavek, J., & X. Fan (2010). Print-focused read-alouds in preschool classrooms: Intervention effectiveness and moderators of child outcomes. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 41, 504-520.
- Piasta, S. B., Purpura, D. J., & Wagner, R. K. (2010). Fostering alphabet knowledge development: A comparison of two instructional approaches. Reading & Writing, 23, 607-626.
- Piasta, S. B., & Wagner, R. K. (2010). Developing early literacy skills: A meta-analysis of alphabet learning and instruction. Reading Research Quarterly, 45, 8-38.
- Piasta, S. B., & Wagner, R. K. (2010). Learning letter names and sounds: Effects of instruction, letter type, and phonological processing skill. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 105, 324-344.
- Bailet, L. L., Repper, K. K., Piasta, S. B., & Murphy, S. P. (2009). Emergent literacy intervention for pre-kindergarteners at risk for reading failure. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 42, 336-355.
- Piasta, S. B., Connor, C. M., Fishman, B., & Morrison, F. J. (2009). Teachers’ knowledge of literacy concepts, classroom practices, and student reading growth. Scientific Studies of Reading, 13, 224-248.
- Connor, C. M., Piasta, S. B., Fishman, B., Glasney, S., Schatschneider, C., Crowe, E., Underwood, P. & Morrison, F. J. (2009). Individualizing student instruction precisely: Effects of child-by-instruction interactions on first graders’ literacy development. Child Development, 80, 77-100.
- Connor, C. M., Morrison, F. J., Fishman, B., Ponitz, C. C., Glasney, S., Underwood, P. S., Piasta, S. B., Crowe, E., & Schatschneider, C. (2009). The ISI classroom observation system: Examining the literacy instruction provided to individual students. Educational Researcher, 38, 85-99.
- Wagner, R. K., Piasta, S. B., & Torgesen, J. K. (2007). Learning to read. In M. Traxler & M. A. Gernsbacher (Eds.), Handbook of psycholinguistics (2nd ed.). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Piasta, S. B., & Wagner, R. K. (2007). Dyslexia: Identification and classification. In E. L. Grigorenko & A. J. Naples (Eds.), Single-word reading: Behavioral and biological perspectives (pp. 209-326). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.