New: Coronavirus update on teleworking and additional closings
University-wide communication related to the COVID-19 outbreak
The Ohio State University
Updated March 18: Thompson, 18th Avenue and all departmental libraries on the Columbus campus are closed. All library services will be provided virtually.
The Ohio State University announced new information for students, faculty and staff in response to the international viral outbreak of 2019 Coronavirus (COVID-19).
President Michael V. Drake issued a new university-wide letter on Monday that updates university guidelines. The details are as follows:
Dear Ohio State Community:
I write to share important new information about requirements that employees work from home and building closures, including recreational sports indoor facilities and university libraries.
The university is committed to doing everything possible to promote the safety of our community as we respond to the coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19). We continue to monitor guidance and best practices from local, state and federal agencies during this extraordinary and challenging time. Information and resources on the university’s coronavirus website are updated regularly, including today’s announcement that the university is adjusting the end of the academic calendar for spring semester.
Below are additional steps taken by the university today.
We require all employees who can do so to work from home.
Across all campuses, only critical services will be maintained on university property. These include law enforcement and public safety; hospitals and health services; child care; limited meal preparation and service; facility utilities; residential support; and others determined to be essential by the university. Senior vice presidents and deans will make determinations related to working on campus in these areas.
· If employees, including student employees, have questions about whether to telework or come to campus to work, please reach out to your college or unit leader for clarification.
· If it is not essential for you to be on campus but your duties can’t be completed through teleworking, or if you don’t have the resources to telework, your Human Resources Business Professionals will work with you to determine next steps.
· Graduate associates who have questions relating to their duties, or their ability to perform their duties away from campus, should consult directly with their supervising unit.
The university is closing the following facilities through at least Tuesday, March 31:
- All recreational sports indoor facilities
- The Ohio Union
- The Younkin Success Center
- University bookstores (Gateway, Ohio Union and Tuttle)
- Thompson, 18th Avenue and all departmental libraries on the Columbus campus are closed. All library services will be provided virtually.
For information about dining services on campus, visit https://dining.osu.edu/.
I want to reiterate my gratitude for your patience, flexibility and continued collaboration. We remain committed to working together as Buckeyes to keep our community safe and healthy throughout the course of this pandemic and beyond.
Michael V. Drake, MD