Ohio State News Alert: Tips, resources and reminders to enjoy the Penn State football game
The Ohio State University
The No. 3 Buckeyes football team hosts No. 7 Penn State at noon this Saturday in one of the biggest games of the season.
The Ohio State University offers tips, resources and reminders for what will be a busy game day:
Safety in and around The ’Shoe: Football Saturdays always bring increased presence of law enforcement and security personnel on and off campus. The university recently announced new comprehensive safety enhancements, including additional mobile surveillance cameras and the renewal of the Buckeye Block Watch foot patrols in the University District. It’s still important to play an active role in enhancing your own safety:
- Travel in groups or use public transportation. Students can use the discounted Lyft Ride Smart program, too.
- Put earbuds away and be aware of your surroundings while walking, especially at night.
- If you see something suspicious, say something. The Ohio State University Police Division’s non-emergency line is 614-292-2121, and the Columbus Division of Police’s non-emergency number is 614-645-4545.
- More information and safety resources are available on the Department of Public Safety website.
Get there early: There’s a lot happening in and around Ohio Stadium on Saturday, so fans attending the game should make sure they are ready. Click here for more information on pre-game day activities – like ESPN’s College GameDay at St. John Arena and FOX’s Big Noon Kickoff at the RPAC. At 9 a.m., FanFest opens at St. John Arena south lawn, and Skull Session begins 40 minutes later.
- Campus will be exciting and busy, so make sure to get to campus and into the stadium early. You can avoid the congestion of parking right by the stadium by parking and riding from West Campus using free shuttles – parking lots open at 5 a.m. You can access campus from the north to avoid the Cannon Drive road closure.
- Anyone can sign up for free game day text alerts and be notified in real time about traffic and parking updates, weather information and emergency alerts. Text OSUFB to 67283 to opt in.
- Gates to Ohio Stadium open at 10 a.m. Be sure to have your ticket loaded into your phone’s digital wallet before you arrive. Verified resale tickets are available at ticketmaster.com and via the Ohio State Buckeyes app or Ticketmaster app.
- Make sure to wear red and “Scarlet the Shoe” and be the best fans in the land – cheer loud and be a proud fan.
Party Smart: Stay safe while having fun. Whether students choose to drink or not, the Student Wellness Center has Party Smart tools and tips to help keep everyone healthy. More information is available on the Student Wellness Center website.
Be a good neighbor: Students aren’t the only people who call the University District home. The university is committed to being a good neighbor in our campus communities and asks that students living and spending time off campus do the same. Students, take pride in the area you call home by cleaning up after parties, being mindful of trash and keeping noise to an acceptable level. We’re all excited for this top 10 matchup – but we still must be respectful.