The Ohio State University Alumni Association honors exceptional alumni
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Kenneth Hale, associate director of the Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Drug Misuse Prevention and Recovery and co-director for Generation Rx in The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy, is the recipient of The Ohio State University Alumni Association’s 2017 Alumni Medalist Award, the highest honor presented to a graduate of the institution.
Hale’s work with Generation Rx has reached more than 37 million people throughout the United States. He helped lead the collaboration between the College of Pharmacy and the Cardinal Health Foundation to provide open-source educational materials for use by parents, teachers, health care providers and the public to prevent the misuse of prescription drugs.
Hale will be recognized at the annual awards ceremony on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017, at Marriott Columbus University Area, 3100 Olentangy River Road. A three-time graduate of Ohio State (BS, Pharmacy, 1976; MA, Educational Theory and Practice, 1987; PhD, Educational Policy and Leadership, 1995), Hale is one of nine alumni who will be recognized during the award ceremony.
Other honorees include:
- Dan L. Heinlen Award: Diane S. DeLawder (BS, Elementary Education, 1980)
- Josephine Sitterle Failer Award: Posthumous honor for Patricia F.R. Cunningham (BA, Women’s Studies, 2002; MA, Educational Policy and Leadership, 2005; PhD, Educational Policy and Leadership, 2011)
- Archie M. Griffin Professional Achievement Award: Charles F. Kurfess (JD, Law, 1957)
- William Oxley Thompson Award: Ida Abdalkhani (BSBA, Entrepreneurship, 2005; BA, Interpersonal Communications, 2005; MBA, Marketing and Strategy, 2005)
- Ralph Davenport Mershon Award: Daniel E. Kimmet (BS, Mechanical Engineering, 1971; MS, Mechanical Engineering, 1972 )
- Robert M. Duncan Alumni Citizenship Award: James G. Roberts (BS, Civil Engineering, 1984); Kristen A. Catton (BS, Nursing, 1992)
- Diversity Champion Award: Phillip D. Barnes (BS, Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2001; MS, Biological Engineering, 2004; PhD, Biomedical Engineering, 2010)
- E. Gordon Gee Spirit of Ohio State Award: Buckeye Cruise for Cancer