University trustees announce process for presidential search
Search for 17th president to include input from faculty, staff, students and the community
The Ohio State University
The Ohio State University Board of Trustees today announced the process for seeking the university’s next president — a search that will include opportunities for the Ohio State community to participate.
“The strength and momentum of Ohio State and its collective leadership team, which will help guide the university during this transition, make us highly confident that we will be able to attract a truly outstanding next president,” Hiroyuki Fujita, chair of the Board of Trustees, said.
“The board will engage with the Buckeye community as we select and welcome the next university president to Ohio State.”
Fujita will serve as chair of the overall Presidential Search Committee, which includes two subcommittees: the Presidential Selection Subcommittee, composed of trustees, and the University Advisory Subcommittee, made up of faculty, staff and students. Both subcommittees will collaborate in identifying a candidate that the Presidential Search Committee will recommend to the board.
Trustees on the Presidential Selection Subcommittee with Fujita include: Jeff M.S. Kaplan, Elizabeth Kessler, Tom B. Mitevski, Lewis Von Thaer, Reginald A. Wilkinson and John Zeiger.
The University Advisory Subcommittee is co-chaired by Jan Box-Steffensmeier, Distinguished University Professor in the Department of Political Science and the Vernal G. Riffe Professor in Government and Politics, and Phillip Popovich, Ray W. Poppleton Research Designated Chair in the Department of Neuroscience in the College of Medicine.
Additional members of the University Advisory Subcommittee are:
- Martha Belury, Carol S. Kennedy Professor in Human Nutrition, College of Education and Human Ecology
- Carol R. Bradford, dean, College of Medicine; vice president for health sciences, Wexner Medical Center
- Molly Ranz Calhoun, president and CEO, The Ohio State University Alumni Association
- Jorge E. Clavo Abbass, president, Council of Graduate Students
- Michael C. Eicher, senior vice president for advancement; president, The Ohio State University Foundation
- Isil Erel, David A. Rismiller Chair in Finance, Fisher College of Business
- Russell Hassan, Ambassador Milton A. and Roslyn Z. Wolf Chair in Public and International Affairs, John Glenn College of Public Affairs
- Ayanna Howard, dean, College of Engineering
- Michael Ibrahim, director, School of Music
- Cathann A. Kress, vice president for agricultural administration and dean, College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Scott Levi, professor and chair, Department of History, College of Arts and Sciences
- Anthony Long, president, Inter-Professional Council
- Andrew Pierce, president, Undergraduate Student Government
- Paul Rose, associate dean for strategic initiatives, Moritz College of Law
- Taylor A. Schwein, graduate student trustee
- Gene Smith, senior vice president and Wolfe Foundation Endowed Athletic Director, Department of Athletics
- Claudia Turro, professor and chair, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, College of Arts and Sciences
- Laurel Van Dromme, chair, University Staff Advisory Committee
The Presidential Selection Subcommittee, which also will manage the use of the external search firm Education Executives, will share ways in which the Ohio State community can participate in the search process.
“Our dedication to advancing Ohio State’s standing as one of the nation’s premier public universities remains unchanged — as does our commitment to being a leader in affordability and student support, faculty retention and hiring, innovative research and excellence in patient care,” Fujita said.