Visitor restrictions at all Ohio State health care facilities take effect March 15
Due to ongoing concerns about novel coronavirus (COVID-19), The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center has implemented new visitor restrictions to ensure the health and safety of patients, their families and medical center staff. These restrictions apply at all Ohio State health care facilities and take effect Sunday, March 15:
- Any patient coming for an emergency department visit, outpatient surgery, procedure or office visit: limit one visitor/support person in the building.
For hospitalized patients:
- Limit one visitor in the building at any time.
- No visitors are allowed in the building from 10 p.m. – 8 a.m., unless accompanying a newly admitted patient or a maternity patient.
- No visitors under age 16.
- NOTE: Visitation rules may be even more restricted on units or floors with patients who have reduced immune systems or special populations.
- End of life situations.
- Minor patients (<=18 years old) may have two visitors, limited to only parents or guardians.
- Individuals with significant physical disabilities are limited to one support person in addition to a visitor.
- All visitors to hospitals will be screened for symptoms and travel or exposure history.
- Visitor screening is also being done at selected outpatient facilities that care for patients with reduced immune systems (e.g., cancer).
- Visitors will be asked to leave the facility if they have had symptoms in the past 24 hours or exposures in the last 14 days. If you have mild to moderate symptoms, call your health care provider. If you are severely ill, seek immediate medical attention.
- If the visitor is a driver for a patient, they will be asked to wait in their car until the patient’s appointment is completed.
- Visitors must wash their hands, or use hand sanitizer, when entering and leaving rooms and hospital buildings.
These building entrances will be temporarily closed to the public:
- Ohio State Brain and Spine Hospital: south entrance
- Ohio State University Hospital: 12th Ave. bridge entrance
- James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute: 12th Ave. entrance
Updates will be available online at: wexnermedical.osu.edu.