Wexner Medical Center widely recognized for quality care, safety, patient satisfaction
Statement from Susan Moffatt-Bruce, M.D., Chief Quality and Patient Safety Officer, and Andrew Thomas, M.D., Chief Medical Officer
“The faculty, staff and administration of The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center collaborate on a daily basis to provide high-quality, safe patient care for the central Ohio community. Our patient satisfaction scores rank in the top 10 percent for all hospitals nationally. Our patients clearly recognize that we put their care and their safety front and center in all that we do. Importantly, we have been recognized nationally by multiple organizations for the high-quality care we provide. For the past four years, the competitive University Healthsystem Consortium has ranked us in the top 10 percent of academic medical centers in the nation for quality, safety and patient satisfaction. In addition, The Leapfrog Group, a leading national organization in hospital safety, has awarded us with 'A,' its highest grade, in both 2016 and 2017.”
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center (OSUWMC) has been recognized by several external entities as providing high-quality care to achieve superior outcomes and create value for the community. These include:
- VIZIENT: OSUWMC has been the recipient of the Quality Leadership Award for four consecutive years from Vizient. This award recognizes the top Academic Medical Centers in the country and is based on outcomes, safety, efficiency, effectiveness, equity and patient experience.
- US NEWS & WORLD REPORT TOP HOSPITALS: U.S. News evaluates hospital performance across multiple specialties based on survival, patient safety, reputation and structure. OSUWMC is nationally ranked in eight specialties and considered High Performing in all nine Common Adult Procedures reported. We are ranked No. 1 in the Columbus metro area and No. 2 in the state of Ohio.
- LEAPFROG: Leapfrog, an independent industry group, publishes Hospital Safety Scores twice a year based on a study of how well hospitals protect patients from accidents, errors, injuries and infections. University Hospitals and University Hospitals East have both received an “A” grade for the last three reporting periods. Only one other hospital in central Ohio received an “A” in the most recent release of the scores.
- HEALTHGRADES: Healthgrades recognized OSUWMC as a Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence for the third time in four years. This recognition is given only to the top 5 percent of all hospitals based on clinical outcomes in Medicare patients across 32 different conditions. Only one other local hospital received this award. Additionally, OSUWMC has been recognized for excellence in Pulmonary Care, Stroke Care, Nuerosurgery, Critical Care and General Surgery.
- BECKER’S TOP 100 GREAT HOSPITALS: Becker’s Hospital Review selects hospitals for their list based on an analysis of several ranking and award agencies. OSUWMC has been included on this list for the last five years.
- MAGNET: OSUWMC was the first health system in central Ohio to have a hospital achieve Magnet Recognition, one of the highest honors awarded for nursing excellence. The Ross Heart Hospital, University Hospital and The James are all designated Magnet hospitals.
- TOP DOCTORS: Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. lists the top doctors from across the country based on nominations and extensive physician-led research on each nominee. OSUWMC has more Top Doctors than any other central Ohio hospital.
- CENTER OF EXCELLENCE: OSUWMC has been designated as a Center of Excellence based on quality and cost by one or more insurance companies for the following programs: Bariatric Surgery, Cardiac Rhythm Care, Cancer Care, Maternity Care, Transplant, Spine Surgery, Joint Replacement, Stroke Care, Pulmonology and General Cardiac Care.