The Ohio State University Alumni Association honors exceptional alumni
COLUMBUS, Ohio – John W. Creighton Jr., strategic director for the Seattle-based Madrona Venture Group, is the recipient of The Ohio State University Alumni Association’s 2018 Alumni Medalist Award, the highest honor presented to a graduate of the institution.
Creighton is former president and CEO of Weyerhaeuser Company, one of the world’s largest private owners of timberlands. He served as interim chair and chief executive officer of UAL Corporation, providing leadership for United Airlines during the industry downturn following the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Creighton served on The Ohio State University Foundation Board and helped fund two areas in the William Oxley Thompson Library: a reading room and the office of the head of the rare books and manuscripts collection.
A two-time graduate, Creighton earned his bachelor’s degree in business administration in 1954 and his law degree in 1957.
Creighton will be recognized at the annual awards ceremony on Friday, Sept. 21, at The Fawcett Center, 2400 Olentangy River Road. This year, the program celebrates 60 years of excellence by honoring alumni and others who have brought extraordinary credit to Ohio State.
Other honorees include:
· Dan L. Heinlen Award: Nancy Lohman (BS, Human Ecology, 1982)
· Diversity Champion Award: Edison R. Fowlks (PhD, Plant Pathology, 1965)
· Josephine Sitterle Failer Award: Kristine Mount Staats (BA, Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, 1982; MA, Education, 1984)
· Archie M. Griffin Professional Achievement Award: David D. Hamlar Jr. (MD, Medicine, 1989; Residency, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 1994)
· William Oxley Thompson Award: Kelsey Kresser Schmuhl (BS, Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2012; PharmD, 2017)
· William Oxley Thompson Award: Michael P. Snyder (BS, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 2009; MS, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 2011)
· Ralph Davenport Mershon Award: Stephen B. Smith (MS, Health Administration, 1977)
· Robert M. Duncan Alumni Citizenship Award: Sue Blakely Helmreich (BS, Human Ecology, 1977)
· E. Gordon Gee Spirit of Ohio State Award: The Ohio State University Dance Team