Ohio State Columbus campus to reopen, classes to resume at 11 a.m.
The National Weather Service is projecting cold, but rising, temperatures early Thursday morning.
The Ohio State University Columbus campus will open Thursday, Jan. 31 at 7 a.m. However, all classes scheduled to start prior to 11 a.m. are canceled. Any class beginning at 11 a.m., or later, will proceed as scheduled.
Students are encouraged to stay indoors until classes resume. Students should check with their scheduled activities to be sure there are no other changes or cancellations.
In accordance with the 7 a.m. reopening, all staff should return to work on Thursday in alignment with their normal schedule.
The health, safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff is the university’s top priority. The university takes very seriously the obligation to provide the full measure of instruction to tuition-paying students, and for that reason, the goal is to remain open. In consultation with medical experts and public safety professionals, the university has determined reopening can be done safely.
Beginning Thursday at 12:01 a.m., all parking garages will return to normal operations and parking rules will again be enforced. Any essential staff currently using the parking garages will be allowed to exit for free any time prior to Thursday at 7 a.m.
The university treats campus roadways and sidewalks during winter weather conditions. CampusParc crews continue to treat parking lots and garages but some rooftop parking will be closed due to icy conditions (Garage Tracker).
Campus Area Bus Service (CABS) continues to be limited to MC Express and Buckeye Lot staff parking with normal operations resuming Thursday at 7 a.m. Riders can monitor buses in real-time via the Ohio State App.
The safety of the campus community is the top priority. Faculty, students and staff should remember to take precautions while traveling in winter weather.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time.
- Dress appropriately for the weather (boots, hat, gloves).
- While walking, take it slow to avoid slipping.
- While driving, allow additional distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
- Know your route and pay special attention to changing and/or declining weather conditions.
FACILITY AND CLINIC HOURS
Staff should scheduled activities to be sure there are no other changes or cancellations. As a reminder, the following areas will operate as follows:
- All Wexner Medical Center locations remain open.
- Student Life’s Student Health Services remain open, as scheduled.
- Campus dining facilities remain OPEN, with limited operations, with all locations returning to regular service Thursday at 7 a.m.
- The Ohio State University Optometry Services clinics remain open.
- Ohio State Dental Clinics remain open.
- The Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center (Columbus and Dublin) remain open normal hours and 24/7 for emergency care.
- The Blackwell remains open.
Additional hours of operations and informational resources are available at emergency.osu.edu.